Institutions supervised by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) can assist consumers in disaster areas by:
- Offering penalty-free forbearance or repayment periods with clearly disclosed terms;
- Limiting or waiving fees and charges, including overdraft fees, ATM fees, or late fees;
- Restructuring existing debt by, for example, extending repayment terms with clearly disclosed terms;
- Refinancing existing debt or extending new credit with terms favorable to the consumer. Terms could, for example, reduce costs, limit payment amounts, or offer consumers other flexibility;
- Easing documentation or credit-extension requirements;
- Increasing capacity for customer service hotlines, particularly those that serve consumers in languages other than English; and/or
- Increasing ATM daily cash withdrawal limits
Click here for more information on the CFPB’s Statement on Supervisory Practices Regarding Financial Institutions and Consumers Affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
To receive updates direct to your inbox, please subscribe.